Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Bread Whisperer

The Bakery Manager is currently on vacation, leaving just two of us bakery associates to fend for ourselves. And after the past few weeks being how they've been** and then having to run the bakery with only two people, I can say I am worn out. But as luck would have it, the Bakery Gods smiled on us! The last two days, bread technicians (what a silly title) from our dough supplier have been by to help us bake bread.

Tuesday was the first day they showed up but I was off that day (my first day off in nearly two weeks because of the violent storms) so my coworker was lucky enough to have someone help her on a day that would have otherwise left her to defend the Bakery all by herself. Today was my turn to work with the bread master. He showed up early because he had to leave at twelve for another store, but he had most of the bread started and a few loaves finished.

I saw the bread he had made and - knowing what bread we produce - I couldn't believe they were the same product. They were...beautiful! He explained that between the humidity of our proofers being WAY off - AKA nonexistent - and the steamer feature in our oven being worn out -AKA old as shit - our bread was too dry and wasn't browning properly, leading us to over proofing and over baking our breads. He showed us a few tricks involving squirt bottles and throwing a jug of water onto hot metal plates to get the desired effect - golden brown, delicious bread. I was geeking over the hoagie rolls.

I seriously contemplating hugging the guy, he's a genius and whatever they're paying him isn't enough.




No bakers were molested in the making of this comic...


**Footnote: On Wed April 27th, a violent storm cell ripped through Alabama and a record breaking 305 tornadoes formed in  24 hour period - one of them being confirmed to be an F-5 which tore through downtown Tuscaloosa - and left hundreds dead, thousands injured, and hundred missing.

Most of the counties around me are in shambles and there are towns that no longer exist. We were without power for almost three days. I came in Friday after the storm to help the store in any way I could and spent the next 12 days trying to get the Bakery back up and running and trying to keep food, charcoal, water, and ice for those without power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment