Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Not So Common Curtesy

We have all encountered people who are utterly oblivious to those around them and are generally frowned upon by society. We call them rude. 



And as I am in the business of a glorified servant, I find myself on the reviving end of many of these peoples' actions. The most common manifestation of this is the "I need it NAO" effect. When a customer wants something such as a cake or specific desert, it is generally considered a good idea to call ahead. However, we also get the browsing crowd who just walk in without any idea of what they want.

EX.

A rather large lady riding an electric cart was browsing through our parfaits and asked if we had any Strawberry. I informed her we were currently sold out. She asked me how long it would take for me to make one. Because of the manner in which we make parfaits - you can't just make one, but have to make several at a time - it takes generally close to an half hour or more to make them. In a very snide and offronted tone of voice, she snipped "Well, I'm not waiting that long!"

I did not mean to offend you lady but if you want Strawberry cake so badly we do carry Strawberry bars. We are not set up in a way that we can operate like a fast food restaurant, so PA-ARDON ME! This is a Bakery, NOT BURGER KING.


Another way in which people express their sense of self importance is through samples. It has become a rule at the bakery that we do not leave samples overnight because it has been promoting theft. We leave a box of cookies out for samples over night and we come into the department to see that box empty - as expected - but also to find three other boxes have been ripped open and cookies taken. So we take them down. People coming in as I am leaving ask "Where are the samples?" And I explain they're taken down at night. I had one such encounter with a person who asked "Well, what's from stopping me from just waiting till you're gone and opening a box up?"

"Security cameras?"



Also there was one lady who saw me put out fresh samples and asked "Are these free?" And I said "Yes." She walked off with six cookies. FFFFFFFFFFFFF-



But by far the worst was last Friday before Fathers Day. I had a stack of orders to do and have three people come into the store to pick up cakes they had orders for the next day. They all thought they could "...just come and pick it up early."


FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!




Coincidentally, that was the very day I have a nervous break down. In front of customers no less!

I hope they feel really bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment